In recent years, the cultural offer in Malaga has been really enlarged. There are many new museums in the capital of the Costa del Sol. We can proudly say that Malaga is one of the cities of the world that accumulates more museums: no less than 36.
Today we’ll talk about the five we consider to be essential. If you come to Malaga, you can’t miss them! And remember that these five museums are free entry every Sunday.
– Pompidou: we start our cultural route in Muelle Uno, visiting this space opened in 2015. It offers a tour of the art of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries with almost 90 selected works of the incomparable collection of the Pompidou Centre in Paris, one of the two most important in the modern and contemporary world .
– Picasso: in less than ten minutes walking from the Pompidou museum, we can appear in the Picasso Museum, located in the old town and, for many, the main museum of the city. Its collection brings together 233 works of the artist, as well as the temporary in comodato 43 works of Pablo Picasso, thanks to an agreement of fifteen years with the Fundación Almine y Bernard Ruiz-Picasso para el Arte (FABA).
– Carmen Thyssen: once we have admired the works of one of the most talented painters of the History, we can walk for a few minutes and reach Calle Compañía, where we find the Palacio de Villalón, an old and wonderful building which is the home for 285 works, part of the collection Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum.
– CAC: to visit the Centre of Contemporary Art, we must move on to the SOHO of Malaga. With a dimension of almost 2.400 square meters, it is one of the main centres of this kind in the country. Many of the artists that are outlined here are in the top one hundred of the contemporary art world. The entry is always free.
– Russian Museum Collection: we’ll finish our tour in the old building of “Tabacalera”; here is located this museum that has more than 7.000 square meters. This is the only spanish center in which we can admire works from the State Russian Museum of St. Petersburg (the largest of its kind in the world with a large international prestige) by an agreement of exclusivity of ten years of duration.